Skip to main content

SHRM's New Baby Named!

As you read in my most recent posts, SHRM has announced new certifications that will be available in 2015.  Several have referred to the fiasco with the announcement and relationship with HRCI as a DIVORCE.  While that may or may not be true as the two organizations proceed, SHRM has announced the name of what I have referred to above as their new Baby.  They are the SHRM-CP (Society for Human Resources Management - Certified Professional) and SHRM-SCP (Society for Human Resources Management - SENIOR Certified Professional).  Here is what the logo's will look like:


Of course, as a career long volunteer for SHRM, I don't mean that in a condescending way.  However, it should be treated as such due to the delicate situation that has been created between the two organizations and primarily within the community who is very concerned about the impression this makes on the non-HR community.  I know the latter, is by far my biggest concern as I have worked so hard over the years to advance this profession and serve the professional.  I do realize the latter is in the plan from SHRM to allow current professionals to obtain the new certifications very easily once they are available. So from what I understand when I go through the certification steps mentioned in a previous blog post, my name will appear as the following in all my professional signatures:


Wow, that’s a lot of letters.  I'm glad I don't have to introduce myself as such.  Just kidding.  In addition, to the name, SHRM has also announced how this certification process will be governed. 



As you can see above, SHRM has also decided how the credits will be handled via SHRM affiliates.  What I don't have an answer to yet is, how they will handle pre-approved providers like my company, Rogers HR Consulting, who has been a provider of PHR/SPHR HRCI certified programs since 2007.  I have sent my question to the email about and waiting to hear back.  I am sure a lot of organizations like myself as well as associations, universities, etc. are very curious.

Having just completed my year as a Membership Advisory Committee (MAC) for SHRM in December, I was considering applying to serve on the HRCI board.  Now it seems I will need to make a choice as whether I apply to SHRM's new governance board or the stick with my original plan.  Both will have an impact on the certification/educational needs of the professionals I have been serving as a volunteer for SHRM affiliates since 1997.  Of course, neither of them may elect me, if I applied so it could be a non-issue.  End of my SHRM volunteer career? Who knows? I am still on the ILSHRM board as College Relations Director and I am one of the co-advisors for the UIS Student Chapter aka PStarHR so it's not likely.

If your are going to #SHRM14 be sure to stop by one of the three offered SHRM Certification Town Hall meetings hosted by my friend Brian Dickson and his team.  I am sure they will answer all your questions.  Remember, HRCI is not going away!  Connect with me on LinkedIn and Twitter and give me a shout out to meet in real life (IRL) at the conference if you plan to be there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

55 Active Job Search Sites (Updated 7/19)

I had a company encouraging me to update this list over the last couple of months.  Since they focus on veteran hiring and I am a veteran supporting other veterans I am happy to add the following to this original posting from 2017. Silent Professionals is a free veteran recruitment service. Their differentiating factor is that they focus on a very specific subset of veteran employment which is the combat arms veteran. Their site is much more than just a job board because they actually provide a service behind it which is all free to the veteran. As combat veterans themselves, with a vast amount of experience in the private security sector, they are able to use that experience and influence within the industry to act as trusted advocates for the veteran candidate. They boast an incredible 84% job placement success rate for candidates that they recommend to employers. One of the reasons they're able to do that is because of their focus on jobs for combat veterans who are seek...

Is the Good Ole' Boy Network a Myth or Reality?

The following was originally written in 2011 and posted on the Women of HR site here: http://womenofhr.com/is-the-good-ol%E2%80%99-boy-network-just-a-myth/ As I prepare for a program on harassment and discrimination to be delivered at the Danville Community College later this month, I was reminded of this post and thought I would share again here. From the archives: From Women of HR By Donna Rogers, SPHR, SHRM-SCP The following are a few hypothetical (not really) life stories related to human resources, being a woman in what is still in some circles ‘a man’s world’ and organizational behavior. At the end of each story, I challenge you to put yourself in the position of anyone in this story and comment on whether or not you think the “ good ol’ boy ” network is a myth or has a touch of reality. There are no right or wrong answers. Have fun! Myth or reality? A fully qualified female non-commissioned officer applies for a commissioned officer position within a department for which she ...

What HR should know about Evacuation and Re-entry Post Disaster

To continue our focus on Disaster Preparedness this month, I would like to introduce guest author, Kendall Herbert who specializes in Emergency Management and will be in the job market next Spring after graduating with his Bachelors degree in Emergency Management.  Look for other topics along these lines to come. Evacuation and re-entry are important parts of keeping organizations prepared for disasters. It can be the different between a long drawn out process leaving everyone confused, or quicker one which would allow more time to work. Being prepared and taking time in advance can save organizations time and money in the long run. For example, when there is a gas leak within a building what steps are people immediately going to do? ·          Evacuate the building, ·          meet up in the designated location, and ·          wait until told...